Revitalization Strategies for Annandale
Fairfax OCR sponsored a study of the Annandale Commercial Revitalization District (CRD) with a concentration on the “downtown” core along Columbia Pike. A mix of industry experts from the Urban Land Institute (ULI) Washington Chapter conducted a Technical Assistance Panel (TAP) for Annandale on July 20 and 21, 2016. The purpose of the TAP was to provide short- to medium-term revitalization strategies that concentrate on the appearance, economic vitality, and awareness/promotion of Annandale.
Through the TAP, a mix of industry professionals applied their expertise and creativity to Annandale. It was a chance to get a fresh perspective on the CRD and generate ideas for future enhancement.
- A copy of the panel's final report may be found here.
- A copy of the panel's presentation may be found here.
For more information on the TAP, or to express your interest in being involved with the revitalization of Annandale and implementation of these strategies, please continue to check this webpage, email email@example.com, or call 703-324-9300, TTY 711.
ULI Technical Assistance Panel
A ULI Technical Assistance Panel provides expert, multidisciplinary advice to those facing complex land use and real estate issues. Participants in the panel come from a variety of development and land use disciplines—they are urban designers, planners, real estate professionals, etc. More information about Technical Assistance Panels can be found on the ULI Washington website.
Questions Addressed by the TAP
- How can Annandale be further revitalized and “enhanced” as a place through design? These enhancements could be permanent and/or temporary/seasonal.
- What mix of businesses would enhance the economic vitality of Annandale?
- Are there existing assets to build on, unmet demand to satisfy, or big catalytic concept(s) to pursue?
- Are there temporary/interim/pop-up uses, or businesses, that would be appropriate, and if so where?
- What promotional and/or educational strategies (such as events, educational campaigns, branding, programs, etc.) could help assist with the revitalization of Annandale?
- Which downtown site(s) has the most potential for redevelopment within a nearer-term timeframe, and how can the constraints or barriers with the site be overcome?
- How will the County, and any potential partners, implement the TAP’s recommended strategies? (such as timing, responsible parties, cost, funding sources, priority)
TAP assistance could be particularly helpful to:
- Propose evidence-based catalytic project ideas, explore new and other identified ideas
- Identify ideal parcels for consolidation, particularly for catalytic project ideas or ideal assembly for redevelopment
- Evaluate potential infrastructure investments, incentives and/or partnerships to spur revitalization in Annandale
- Identify other creative ideas or tools to spur or facilitate revitalization in Annandale