Merrifield Town Center (Mosaic District)See the Mosaic District project's website for more information on the town center's retailers as well as planned community events.
Mosaic District Community Development Authority Documents
- Annual Continuing Disclosure Report: For the year ended December 31, 2015
- Annual Continuing Disclosure Report: For the year ended December 31, 2014
- Board of Supervisors Agenda Item: April 26, 2011
- Presentation to the Board of Supervisors: April 12, 2011
- Memorandum of Understanding and Proposed Ordinance
- Petition for the Creation of The Mosaic District Community Development Authority
On April 27, 2009, the Board of Supervisors created the county’s first Community Development Authority (CDA). The CDA is for the proposed Mosaic - Merrifield Town Center development.
On October 15, 2007, the Board rezoned 31.31 acres of land in order to permit Edens to develop the portion of Merrifield designated as the town center in the Comprehensive Plan. The site is located south of Lee Highway/Route 29, west of Yates Way, east of Eskridge Road and north of the Luther Jackson Middle School. The project was approved for approximately 1,000 dwelling units, a multiplex theatre, 125,000 square feet of office space, 500,000 square feet of other non-residential uses and a 150 room hotel. Among the improvements are construction of two parks, the realignment and widening of Eskridge Road, the widening of Lee Highway, improvements to the Lee Highway/Gallows Road intersection and construction of a grid of streets. Virtually all parking will be provided in structures.
Edens agreed to:
- Establish a CDA for the site under a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the county. The CDA would include only this one site.
- Fund a 30 million dollar portion of the public facilities to be constructed on the site through a 30 year bond to be issued by the CDA, whose debt service will be paid by a self assessment; and
- Fund a 42 million dollar portion of the public facilities to be constructed on the site (road improvements, parks, and a small portion of the parking garage) through a 22 year bond also issued through the CDA whose debt service will be paid through incremental real estate tax revenues. Liability for the debt service will be secured by the CDA, not the county.
History of Mosaic DistrictClick here for a video on the history of the Mosaic District from concept to implementation